Elbow dysplasia is a condition of development, consists of a bone disorder that begins with arthritis and triggers an osteoarthrosis.
This disease usually occurs in dogs of large and giant breeds (German Shepherd Dog, Labrador, San Bernardo, Rottweiler, Neapolitan Mastiff, etc.), the process can be uni or bilateral with males affected more frequently than females.
Its origin is multifactorial genetic and transmitted to offspring, but the occurrence of this pathology is also for the environment, food, body weight, ligament firmness, physical exercise, trauma.
Three different types of osteoartrosicas alterations may occur at the level of the elbow:
1. Process anconeus non-Kingdom
2. Osteochondritis dissecans
3 Fragmented coronoid process
In general in the three symptoms first appear during growth (4-5 months of age), the dog has intolerance to exercise, which is manifested by lameness, this may be at the start of a movement, or after prolonged exercise.
In some cases, where osteoarthritis is very discreet, the dog can keep a near-normal level of activity during their lifetime.
The diagnosis is reached by the clinic, sum of symptoms and signs in the anamnesis that the veterinarian must perform, also request x-rays.
The only one of these pathologies that radiological symptoms at the age of four to seven months, is the process anconeus, the rest from the year.
The more premature is the diagnosis, made before may establish an appropriate treatment, avoiding the formation of arthritis which, on the one hand will produce pain, and on the other be limited functional capacity elbow affected for the remainder of the life of the dog, with the consequent disruption to the same.
Treatment is usually surgical, depending on the grade and seniority of the lesion. You should first try to their spontaneous resolution, and despite the fact that some authors give rest for the pain that produces, it is preferable to administer analgesia. Another solution is the use of supports specific adapted to the alnimal as those manufactured by Dogleggs. It has been shown many cases where, thanks to these supports the animal has had an evolution very large.
Evolution is very variable depending on the type and the extent of the injury, but generally is unfavorable without surgery. The surgical treatment, and if performed before the onset of osteoarthritis,the prognosis is good.
In cases where there are already degenerative changes, and despite having made the surgery, but the pain goes away, it is the limitation of movement joint.
* Predisposed breeds dogs and have a large and early development must be aportár are you a diet avoiding excesses of proteins, as well as the abuse of calcium and vitamins.
* During the growth stage, the exercise must be limited by avoiding games in which the dog jump (e.g. frisby) and avoid small repeated trauma, which predispose to cause or to aggravate the injury.
* Genetic control: is shown heritage influences the appearance of elbow Dysplasia, it is recommended to restrict the reproduction of those who suffer from the disease, regardless of the degree of affection is big or small (this will prevent long term spreading this serious pathology).
Alsoin can refer to: